Recent Fire Damage Posts
Let us help with your fire damage
Sometimes, fire damage to your Southern Illinois home may barely touch the interior but leave significant scars on the exterior of the building. When this happens, the restoration process may be less intrusive and more simple to go through, but a major amount of work remains to be done making sure that discoloration, smoke damage, and necessary reconstruction work all receive the attention they deserve. SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion's team can help you handle all of these tasks and more and even take some steps to prevent against fire damages in the future.
One of the most important ways our experts can help you to restore your home after fire damage burns its exterior is to bring its color and appearance back to the way it was before the disaster. Thanks to efficient fire-specific cleaning methods and fast repainting efforts, we can remove any visual signs of damage your home may have received from the incident. If you feel uncomfortable with having our team work on your home, ask us to show you the extensive list of certifications that every SERVPRO employee receives.
Our cleanup efforts extend well beyond the original sites of damage. Smoke odors and residues can travel quickly around and inside of your home, sometimes giving a section of the building interior a smoky odor despite there being no visual signs of damage. Our thorough cleaning regimens and smoke odor removal work can keep your home scrubbed free of even the smallest and most hard-to-handle fire and smoke residues.
Minor Reconstructive Efforts
Sometimes, some limited reconstruction may be necessary even when smoke and flame never touches the inside of your home. We can help you to make minor repairs such as patching up holes, replacing porch materials, and trimming trees to eliminate any sign of what might have happened before.
SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion brings friendly faces, years of experience, and affordable restoration services to your home when you need them the most. Call us anytime at (618) 998-8828.
SERVPRO Responds Quickly
Many residents in Southern Illinois enjoy setting off fireworks during the summer months, especially The 4th of July. Sometimes things go wrong, however, and cause injuries to people or damage to property. When areas outside your residence sustain damage in this manner, pests such as rodents and insects can come inside your dwelling all too easily.
If your home or business sustains fire damage in this manner, the holes burned into siding can seem minor. However, rain water does not require large openings to infiltrate your home. SERVPRO prepares our technicians according to IICRC standards to mitigate such situations adequately.
Rainwater can also substantially damage insulation, wiring, and interior walls. If burnt out areas occur around second story levels, water can damage ceilings, also. Our SERVPRO team can remove affected areas of siding and help you locate matching sections.
In homes where fire damage causes more extensive damage than just a few minor holes, SERVPRO employees are also able to remove the damaged materials so replacement work can happen more easily. Often, though, we find that cleaning materials first reveals minimal damage that does not require this extra cost. Saving our customers money through restoration by cleaning instead of replacement of materials means making everything "Like it never even happened," can cost considerably less than expected.
SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion wants you and your family to enjoy a safe and fun 4th of July. When fire damage from any source causes your home damage, call us at (618) 998-8828 so we can help you protect your home.
Is My Fire Damage in Sevierville Big Enough for a Professional Cleanup Company?
As many of us spend more time cooking at home, we may increase our risk of a kitchen accident causing fire damage to our home. The flames may affect only one area of our home and leave behind soot and smoke. It can also leave behind a reminder only our sense of smell can perceive. Often, it is the foul smell of smoke and fire that drives us to seek professional help.
Homes in Southern Illinois can call upon our SERVPRO team for help. Regardless of the size of the fire, your curtains, furniture, and other surfaces may continue to emanate an odor that clings to everything you do. As homeowners, we may venture to the store and purchase aroma diffusers and scented candles from the vast array available. However, our efforts may fall short of neutralizing the odor and eliminating it once and for all.
SERVPRO technicians train in the classroom and on the field to address situations like yours. Our techniques and products are available to deodorize your home are far more efficient than what is available at your local supermarket. Here are a few of the options at our fingertips:
- Air scrubbers
- Odor pellets
- Ozone generators
The focus of our application can vary from neutralizing odor molecules to eliminating them, and SERVPRO of Carbondale-Marion is your source for them all. Call us at (618) 998-8828 regardless of the size of your emergency and let us leave your home, "Like it never even happened."
Water Extraction from your Home
Discovering standing water in your home requires a confident and fast response from the homeowner and the responding technicians. Our SERVPRO team has multiple extraction units for many scenarios, but in most clean water disasters, the electric submersible pump can get the job done quickly and cost-effectively.
Electric submersible pumps can help up our responding technicians to begin cleanup quickly upon our arrival. Using minimal power from available sources or our generator brought to the worksite, we can remove standing water down to under two inches for more concentrated water extraction from other tools like our wet vacuums.
Why is the electric submersible pump so popular for extraction?
- Versatility and mobility
- Consistent and continual draw of standing water
- Quiet operation
- Does not require ventilation to run
- Long discharge lines
Extraction is something that you hope never to need, but our SERVPRO of Carbondale-Marion team can help with efficient and powerful tools like our electric submersible pump. Give us a call anytime at (618) 998-8828.
Be Safe Tomorrow!
Studies show that cooking is the main cause for most home fires and burn related injuries. With Thanksgiving being the busiest cooking day of the year. It's good to know some safety tips to have a safe, and happy Thanksgiving holiday.
- Never leave food that is cooking unattended, especially when frying or broiling food. The stove should be turned off if you must leave the kitchen
- Keep anything that could easily catch fire a safe distance away from flames, or hot surfaces. Examples such as; potholders,towels of any material, paper or plastic bags, and wooden utensils.
- Cooking surfaces should be kept clean to prevent grease buildup.
- Always make sure to check the kitchen before leaving the home or going to bed. Check to see that all ovens, stoves and appliances are shut off and stored correctly.
- Have a fire extinguisher near by, and know how to properly use it if needed. Also smoke alarms should be checked monthly to see if properly functioning.
SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion wishes you a safe and happy holiday season! Gobble Gobble!
October Means Halloween Decorations!
Halloween is for costumes, candy and fun! No one wants their fun to be spoiled by a fire! SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion wants everyone to have a fun and safe time this Halloween! We have a list of safety tips below provided by the National Fire Prevention Association.
- Candles - Refrain from having an open flame. Use battery-operated candles or glow-sticks in your jack-o-lanterns.
- Costumes - Choose the right costume. Stay away from long or flowing fabric, and skip extraneous costume pieces.
- Decorations - Avoid flammable decorations including dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe paper that are highly flammable. Keep decorations away from open flames and other heat sources, including light bulbs and heaters.
- Exits - Remember to keep all decorations away from doors so that they are not blocking any exits or escape routes.
- Smoke alarms - Make sure all your smoke alarms are working and up to date.
- Visibility - Provide flashlights to children or have them carry glow sticks as part of their costumes. Make sure if a child is wearing a mask that the eye holes are large enough to see out of them.
SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion wishes everyone a fun and safe Halloween!
One thing you need to know when it comes to a fire in your home or business is the importance of timing. Two minutes may not seem like a long time, but, as it relates to a fire, it can feel like an eternity and cause significant fire damage. In just a few minutes, a fire can become life-threatening. Something else you need to know about our team at SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion are experts in the fire damage repair and restoration industry. We come to your rescue to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Do you know the amount of time it takes for a residence to become engulfed in flames? Five minutes. According to Ready.gov, heat is more threatening than flames. Room temperatures in a fire can be 100 degrees at floor level and rise to 600 degrees at eye level. These extreme temperatures are very harmful to human bodies.
SERVPRO of Carbonale/Marions' “restore first” mentality reduces interruption and gets you back to your life quickly. We have specific damage restoration training, personnel, and equipment.
SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion is your leading local professional fire damage repair and restoration company. Our experienced and qualified team can get your residential or commercial property back to previous condition “Like it never even happened.” If fire damage strikes your home or business, you can call us at (618) 998-8828.
Did you know?
Some may be under the impression that the actual flames of a fire kill people. However, it’s the smoke and toxic gases that kill more people. Another thing you need to know, is fire produces poisonous gases that make you disoriented and drowsy. Asphyxiation is the leading cause of fire deaths, exceeding burns by a three-to-one ratio.
According to https://sf-fire.org/home-fire-facts,
- Nearly 4000 Americans die each year in house fires and over 2000 are severely injured.
- In only 3 1/2 minutes, the heat from a house fire can reach over 1100 degrees Fahrenheit.
- About 80% of all civilian deaths from fire occur in the home.
- In rooms that are not even on fire the temperature can reach over 300 degrees; this is hot enough to melt plastic and kill the people in those rooms.
- Adults 65 and older are more than twice as likely to die in fires as the overall population.
- The leading cause of fire deaths is careless smoking.
- Having a working smoke detector more than doubles one's chances of surviving a fire.
- In 2005, 106 firefighters died in the line of duty in the United States.
It is important to be aware of these facts and to read our previous fire prevention post to help prevent a fire in your home or business.
If a fire strikes your home or business, call SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion for any restoration needs.