Mold Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
10 facts about mold:
- Mold is present almost everywhere -- both indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture and can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
- Microscopic spores serve as a conduit, which allow those spores to float along in the air and enter a home or business through windows and HVAC systems. They can even hitch a ride from your pets and travel indoors.
- Mold comes in many colors and shapes.
- “The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Institute of Medicine of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, the World Health Organization and Health Canada all agree that living or working in a building with mold damage results in increased risk of respiratory disease.”
Have a Mold Problem?
Call Us Today – (618) 998-8828
If you have a mold problem in your home or business, consider the following facts:
- Significant mold growth can occur in 48-72 hours.
- Mold may present a greater risk to children, the elderly, and anyone with respiratory problems.
- A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Carbondale / Marion for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
Mold Remediation Services
If you suspect that your home or business has a mold problem, SERVPRO of Carbondale / Marion has the training, equipment, and expertise to handle the situation.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- De Soto