Recent Storm Damage Posts
How to Deal With Frozen Pipes in Winter Weather | SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion
Frozen pipes? Call SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion
At SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion, we often see an increase in water losses during the winter. A major culprit of these losses are frozen pipes.
When the water inside the pipes freeze, its molecules expand, which causes a blockage of ice that prevents unfrozen water from passing through. When the frozen pipe begins to thaw, the pressure from the water can cause the pipe to burst.
How Can I Tell My Pipes Are Frozen?
One of the most common signs that you are dealing with frozen pipes is when you turn on your faucet and no water comes out (similarly, if you flush your toilet and it doesn’t refill). If this happens, you should check your water source to make sure it’s still turned on and that a leak isn’t occurring.
Another tell-tale sign of frozen pipes is when your water line is coated in frost or is bulging.
If you know that your pipes are frozen, you can either choose to address the issue yourself or call in professionals.
How to Prevent Frozen Pipes
Frozen pipes cause an estimated $400-$500 million in damage annually. To avoid adding to that total, there are several steps you can take.
When the weather gets cold, you should drain water from pipes that are likely to freeze, such as sprinkler and swimming pool water supply lines. Outside hoses should also be disconnected and drained, and indoor valves supplying these access points must be closed.
On frigid days, let your faucets drip cold water. Having the water drip out will make it harder for the water in the pipes to freeze. Your thermostat should also be kept around the same temperature at all times, and your house temperature should never fall below 55 degrees. Garage doors should also be kept shut to protect water lines.
If you are worried about your pipes freezing, you can also place a 60-watt bulb in the areas you’re concerned with. Just make sure none of the materials near the bulb are combustible.
What If My Pipes Are Already Frozen?
If you realize your pipes have frozen, the first step is to keep your faucet open. This will help with thawing and allow for moving water to flow through the pipe.
You can also apply heat to the specific area of the pipe that is frozen. You can do this by wrapping an electronic heating pad around the pipe or heating the area with a hair dryer. Using towels soaked in hot water can help, too.
Keep applying heat until water flow returns to normal. After the pipe has been thawed, turn on other faucets around the house to make sure you don’t have any more frozen pipes.
If the pipe is inside an exterior wall, you should immediately call a professional contractor. It is likely that a hole will need to be cut in the wall toward the inside of the house to allow the pipes to be exposed to warmer air.
Frozen pipes can be a catastrophic problem for your home, but taking proactive measures can help you address the problem before it even starts.
What To Do When Summertime Storms Hit Your Carbondale/Marion Home
SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion is happy to help and meet the needs of those that have been hit by natural disasters. Being a part of the nation's tornado alley, we know a thing or two about heavy winds and the damages caused by them. Our ready to meet any size disaster team is well educated and readily equipped for the calls to come when those storms hit.
Did you know that each year, an estimated 17,400 fires are attributed to lightning in the United States? If one of those fires happens to you and is put out in a timely manner, a call to SERVPRO will get you team members on site to keep any further damages from occurring.
What about those times with heavy rainfall during a power outage? We can be on site with generators to get your sump pump back up and running so the water damage in your basement will stay minimal and start the mitigation process and lifting furniture off the wet floor immediately.
If a storm hits your area, don’t forget to call 618-998-8828.
SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion your leader in commercial and residential storm damage restoration. We make fire and water cleanup and restoration, "Like it never even happened."
How SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion Gets To Any Sized Disaster Quicker
When tragedy strikes your place of business there are a lot of uncertainties that hit you all at once. Such as how long will you have to halt production, how many employees and their families will be affected and will your customers be understanding during this down time.
Getting your business back up on its feet quickly and efficiently is of high importance and we at SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion, understand and are qualified to do so. Our goal for your company is to respond quickly, assess the damages and get to work on getting your organization back to pre-damage conditions with as little downtime as possible.
We also offer services that are geared to get your organization prepared before any disaster takes place.
To better prepare your business for such loss or to get you back to preloss condition, give us a call at 618-998-8828.
SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion your leader in commercial and residential storm damage restoration. We make fire and water cleanup and restoration, "Like it never even happened."
Hurricane season has struck the south extremely hard with devastating flooding and wind damage. Many of our offices have headed south to help manage the effects of the storm and helping to get businesses back open and people back into their homes. Only one company has the strength to take on such a storm and that company is SERVPRO.
When natural disasters hit areas, our teams are mobilized to help take them on. SERVPRO has over 1700 locations across the United States ready to handle any sized disaster.
From tons of equipment mitigation equipment, generators and staff that are ready and able, we are here to help.
Rest assure that, even with crews dispatched throughout the nation, your local SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion is more than capable, staffed and ready to service any disaster locally as well.
For any type of disaster, call the professionals at SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion for your restoration needs to get your home or business back to like new conditions. Call us today at 618-925-4390 to find out more about our services.
No restoration company is better to handle any sized disaster from storm damage than SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion.
Recently we handled a medical facility that was hit with flood waters after heavy rains hit our area. The team from SERVPRO was ready to jump into action bringing in massive drying and dehumidification equipment to dry out the building quickly.
Another storm hit our area dropping a large tree on a home causing massive damage and in addition heavy rains brought water inside the home. Once again the trusted source in storm restoration damage was called in to handle everything from tree removal, initial tarping and boarding up of the house to water remediation. From there getting the roof replaced and the home refinished by our Reconstruction team allowed the homeowners to get back into their home quickly.
Our knowledgeable and professional staff can come in for free inspection and estimates, but more importantly we can help guide you through the insurance process to make sense of it all.
Summertime Storms in Murphysboro, IL
With summertime weather we typically see a lot of intense heavy rains. Heavy rains with failed sump pumps have been a major concern for home owners in the area. There are a few ways to help keep water out of your basement but it's always good to know the water damage experts SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion are here just in case.
A few things to check before the next big rain include:
- Make sure drainage, gutters and downspouts are cleared of any debris.
- Adding extensions off of downspouts to ensure water is flowing away from your home
- Testing sump pumps at least once a month to make sure they are still working
- Make sure sump pump plumbing is also ejecting water far away from the house
Of course if your water takes on any water from flooding from the inside or out, SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion is here to help. Got water damage? Call 618-998-8828.
SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion carries the distinct advantage of being able to hand an entire claim from start to finish out of one building. From demolition or drying to a finished, move-in ready home, SERVPRO has you covered.
Lightning Strike Damages Home In Herrin, IL
During the summer months we run into several instances where homes or businesses are struck by lightning. Fortunately sometimes the damage is minimal, however there are instances where homes are filled with smoke and need repaired. That's where SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion comes in.
Fortunately for this homeowner the home didn't catch fire however it did char an area under the staircase and placed a surge on electrical equipment causing a lot of smoke from areas of the home.
The Professionals at SERVPRO came in and began working on doing a full intense cleaning of the home, while equipment was set to eliminate the odors from the smoke damage to the home. Most of the home had a slight layer of soot covering contents throughout the home and most clothing in closets had a strong odor.
A detailed and thorough cleaning on all contents was then completed while our SERVPRO Laundry division ran a full inventory on clothing and began cleaning them to remove all smoke and soot damage.
SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion is a full line Restoration company and looks to restore and not replace all items in the home to help save on the total claim as well as saving you money down the road.
For more details on what we can do, please call SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion at 618-998-8828.
Summer Pop-Up Storm Damage
Summer weather is so unpredictable. From strong to severe thunderstorms, torrential rains and tornadoes it's hard to know what might be coming our way. The good news is SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion has you covered in case any of these storms cause damage to your home or business.
Heavy rains and flooding are no match to our equipment and staff that can remove water and make structures completely dry. In addition to the removal of water inside, we also make sure it's treated to prevent the spread and growth of mold.
High winds and tornadoes can also wreak havoc on your home. From allowing the elements to come into your home or business to damaging the structure.
SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion has all the capabilities to make sure your home or business is safe and protected after the storm. We are also able, with our Construction division, able to get your home or business back to new again.
For a free estimate please call your local Marion office at 618-998-8828.
Heavy Rain and Thunderstorms
Its that time of year when heavy rains and thunderstorms become a normal part of our week as the temperatures rise. When the rain comes inside your home or business, its essential to call your SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion office as soon as possible.
Not only are we equipped and staffed for any sized disaster, we are available and on call 24-7.
Water damage can make things worse as it sits inside your home or business, it can begin to saturate sheetrock, wall studs, flooring and sub flooring. As water sits longer and especially during humid times of the year can help to allow mold to grow quickly through out the structure.
Be careful when water comes into your home and as always make sure gutters are clean and sump pumps are tested monthly to keep you safe from the elements.
If you find water in your home call the professionals at SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion at 618-998-8828
Storms, Storms, Storms.
Wow, oh, wow! Southern Illinois has had some pretty crazy weather this past month! Tornadoes and strong storms with high speed wind, has been very disturbing to our Southern Illinois area.
Has your home been damaged by these storms? SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion is here to help if so!
SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion has highly trained technicians to clean and restore any damage that a storm or water has ruined. We offer the best of the best and we care about you and your family or business. Our fast pace will get the job completed in an efficient way; leaving your home or business "Like it never even happened."
Call us today at (618) 998-8828 for any of your fire, water, or storm damage needs! We can assure you, the job will be done in a fast, efficient, and professional way.
Located in Marion, IL at 1610 Adams Dr.
Ways to Preapare for the Storm
Storm headed your way? Read these tips to prepare:
- Always keep a battery-powered radio in your home so that you can tune to radio stations if you lose electricity. Check or change the batteries frequently.
- Keep a flashlight in an easily accessible spot on every floor of your home. Check the batteries monthly, and replace them as needed.
- Keep a supply of candles on hand for power failures.
- As a safety precaution before leaving the house on vacation, unplug all electrical appliances except for those lights connected to automatic timers.
- If you live in a storm-prone area, nail down roof shingles or use adequate adhesives to keep them from blowing off in a violent wind. For roofs with shingles that are not the seal-down type, apply a little dab of roofing cement under each tab.
- A lightning-protection system should offer an easy, direct path for the bolt to follow into the ground and thus prevent injury or damage. Grounding rods (at least two for a house) should be placed at opposite corners of the house.
- Don't go out during a hurricane unless you have to. However, if flooding threatens, seek high ground, and follow the instructions of civil defense personnel.
- When a major storm is imminent, close shutters, board windows, or tape the inside of larger panes with an "X" along the full length of their diagonals. Even a light material like masking tape may give the glass the extra margin of strength it needs to resist cracking.
For more tips visit https://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/home-diy/projects/storm-safety-tips.htm
In the event of your home or business getting damaged by a storm, call SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion at (618) 998-8828.
Preventative measures are necessary, especially when it comes to storms. Our SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion team wants you to always be prepared for any storm damage. Preparation is always key. Here are some tips to prepare your home for storms.
Seal Your Roof
Storms can be highly unpredictable. You never know the severity of damage it can cause to your home, your belongings, your roof. It’s critical that you hire a professional to reinforce your roof well before strong winds hit. A professional can seal your roof to help protect it from those strong storms.
Secure Your Windows & Doors
Your windows and doors of your home can be damaged when high winds from storms hit. Ensure you secure your windows and doors. When it comes to your doors, here are some things to check for:
- Screws missing
- Door threshold
Create a Family Emergency Plan
Now...not then...is the time for you to create a family emergency plan so you, your family members and fur babies are well-equipped when a storm strikes. A family emergency plan can help save lives. Here are just a few items to include:
- Communication plan
- Phone and/or walkie talkies (some form of communication device)
- First Aid Kit
- Emergency supplies
- Important phone numbers
Anchor Loose Objects
If objects, such as grills, bikes, deck furniture, trash cans, etc., are loose when a storm hits your residential property, it can cause windows to break, damage to your vehicles, your home or a human being. It’s vital to anchor loose objects to help minimize the risk of outdoor threats. By adding shrubs of varying lengths, fences, trees in a row are ways to help block high winds. Utilizing landscaping and yard objects can be beneficial in this case.
We hope you found these tips to prepare your home for storms to be highly beneficial. Storm and flood damage require specialized restoration techniques and equipment. When a storm hits your home, you need the company with storm damage experience and expertise. SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion can respond immediately to storm and flooding conditions. When a storm emergency occurs, we’re here for you 24 hours of the day, 365 days of the year. Just call us at (618) 998-8828.
Cleanup After the Storm
Storms can bring a lot of damage. After the storm is over, if you want to try and cleanup, make sure the scene is safe to enter and work in. Always be sure there are no more severe storms coming your way and call for help if damage is too much for you to handle alone. Here are a few tips to review before going to cleanup in or around your business or home:
- Be very careful climbing ladders or working on roofs.
- Use extreme caution if using a chainsaw to cut trees or branches.
- Cover leaking roofs before the next rain to prevent further water damage.
- Remove wet rugs and carpet from floors.
- Open windows and run fans if you have water damage in your home.
For more information on storm damage to your home or business, call SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion at (618) 998-8828.
How to look for damage following a storm
When looking for damage to your home or business after a storm, it is important to be aware of any electrical wires or power lines down and if they are laying in water. Never enter the area if there are power lines down or exposed electrical wires.
Damage can occur from wind, hail, flooding, and lighting. So, if the scene is safe, assess the following:
- Roof damage – Examine all parts of your roof (shingles, flashing, gutters and downspouts) for dents and pay attention to missing granules on asphalt shingles (as well as cracked, broken or bruised shingles).
- Windowsills/window casings/siding – In addition to dents and dings, other signs of impact from hail include exposed surfaces or chipped paint/material (such as wood).
- Air conditioning unit – Since this appliance is generally kept outside, it’s susceptible to hail damage and may need to be completely replaced depending on the extent of the storm damage. Look for smashed or damaged fan blade and consider having a professional inspect your AC unit to determine if any coils or internal parts are significantly damaged.
If everything seems fine on the outside, don't forget to look for inside clues.
- Foundation – Storm damage – mainly in the form of water damage/flooding – can impact a home’s foundation because water seepage can cause expansion and cracking which can severely compromise your home’s structure.
- Ceilings/Walls – Water damage will appear in the form of water spots, discoloration or changes in texture (such as sogginess and expansion). Leaks in the ceiling could indicate storm damage from wind and heavy rain, especially if a tree has fallen on your house.
- Doors/Windows – Strong winds can blow out window panes (usually caused by flying debris) or knock down trees which can break through windows or doors. Exterior damage can include shattered glass, dents to windowsills/window casings, broken door frames, unhinged doors or significant cracking
In the event of any of these signs of storm damage, it is important to take care of it fast. Call SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion today for any of your storm damage needs at (618) 998-8828.
Did you know this?
We all may think we know "enough" about tornadoes; I mean, they are big, scary, and UNWANTED. But, did you know.........
- The winds of a tornado can reach speeds of up to 480km per hour
- In extreme cases, tornadoes can last several hours and cross distances over 150km!
- Tornadoes are measured using the Fujita Scale (or F-scale), ranging from F0 to F5, with F5 being the strongest and most destructive.
- Most of the world’s tornadoes occur in the United States in what’s known as Tornado Alley. Stretching from West Texas to North Dakota, this area can see more than 200 tornadoes each year!
- Tornadoes can be invisible until they pick up dust and debris, or a cloud forms within the spinning funnel.
More facts about tornadoes can be found at https://www.natgeokids.com/za/discover/geography/physical-geography/tornado-facts/.