10 facts about mold:
- Mold infestation can quickly arise and spread throughout a home in 48-72 hours.
- Mold is present almost everywhere -- both indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture and can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
- Microscopic spores serve as a conduit, which allow those spores to float along in the air and enter a home or business through windows and HVAC systems. They can even hitch a ride from your pets and travel indoors.
- Mold comes in many colors and shapes.
- “The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Institute of Medicine of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, the World Health Organization and Health Canada all agree that living or working in a building with mold damage results in increased risk of respiratory disease.”
Mold can produce allergens and irritants. You will want a professional who has training and experience to properly resolve the mold infestation. If you suspect that your residential or commercial property has a mold problem, SERVPRO of Carbondale/Marion fits the mold and can inspect, assess and remediate your property.